Dear colleagues and friends,
I am very happy to announce the first our first Extension Team Building effort for North Carolina.
This meeting focuses on developing and building extension teams and to coordinate extension efforts around vinifera and hybrid bunch grape industry.
This meeting focus primarily on extension personnel, but we want specifically reach out to interested growers as well.
1.) Where and when?
Date: Monday, August 6th, 2018
Time: 9 am – 4 pm
Location: Shadow Spring Vineyards, 5543 Crater Road, Hamptonville, NC
On a long-term scale we want to provide value to the whole grape industry in the South East by establishing (or re-establishing) multi-state extension teams for a optimal support of growers and the development of sound multi-state research efforts.
We hope that those teams will be the ‘go-to team’ for the grape industry in the Southeast, and will be able to identify and address the needs of the regional industry, participate in research and extension efforts, and will be included to develop region-wide research and extension proposals.
Registration, Coffee, Snacks
9 am -1 pm:
Educational Sessions (20 – 30 min talk + 20- 10 min. for discussion)
- 9 – 9:40: Wayne Mitchem (NCSU): Vineyard Weed Control and how to calibrate a Sprayer
- 9:40 – 10:20: Tremain Hatch (Virginia Tech): Vineyard Establishment, Spur and Cane Pruning
- 10:20 – 11: Sarah Bowman (SCC): Options for Managing Excessive Vine Vigor in Established Vineyards
- 11- 11:40: Sara Spayd (NCSU): Grape Varieties and Species
- 11:40-12:20: Hannah Burrack and Mark Hoffmann (NCSU): What we know and don’t know about insect and disease management in southeastern vineyards
- 12:20 – 1: Stephan Sommer (ASU): Basics of Winemaking
1 – 2 pm:
Lunch Break (provided)
2 pm – 4 pm:
- 2 – 3 pm: Break-out sessions: Groups of agents, growers and specialists develop main extension objectives
- 3 – 4 pm: Discussion of extension goals; Identification of extension team chair; Follow-up steps
4 – 5pm (optional for Extension Personnel):
Tour of Shadow Springs Vineyards by Chuck Johnson
The meeting is at no cost. But you need to register for the meeting here:
A big thank you to Chuck Johnson and his team from Shadow Spring Vineyards for hosting us!