UGA Ag Econ (Dr. Adam N. Rabinowitz and Dr. Yangxuan Liu) will be holding joint producer meetings with Farm Service Agency (FSA) focused on the following topics:
- Generic Base Conversion: The Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018 authorizes seed cotton as a covered commodity for the 2018 crop year. Owners of a farm with generic base acres need to reallocate those acres. This section of the meeting will cover:
- An explanation of the program, options, and the process.
- An introduction to decision aids and important issues to consider when choosing conversion of generic base acres and ARC/PLC programs.
- Wildfires and Hurricanes Indemnity Program (WHIP): The 2017 Wildfires and Hurricanes Indemnity Program is providing disaster payments to agricultural producers to offset losses from hurricanes and wildfires during 2017. This section of the meeting will cover:
- An explanation of the program and how to participate.
- An overview of risk management strategies and alternative coverages.
- Trade related assistance for agricultural producers: The USDA is taking several actions to assist farmers in response to recent retaliatory tariffs. This section of the meeting will cover the following:
- What’s happening with U.S. trade of agricultural products?
- Market Facilitation Program. Who will be receiving payments and explanation of the process.
- Food Purchase and Distribution Program and Trade Promotion Program. Overview of assistance programs to purchase unexpected surplus and develop new export markets.
The regional meeting being held in our area is listed below:
Tuesday, September 11, 2018
Bulloch County Extension Office, 151 Langston Chapel Road, Statesboro, GA 30458