The History of the Georgia Nutrition Council
A Georgia Nutrition Committee was organized in 1941 through the efforts of 37 state groups or agencies that met to determine the nutritional needs of the State. Its objective was to promote the goals of the National Nutrition Program in Georgia. The Committee was very active and effective during World War II at maintaining and improving the nutritional status of Georgians through education programs. With the end of hostilities in 1945, the Georgia Nutrition Committee decided that an active coordinated nutrition program should be maintained. In 1946, the Committee’s peacetime objectives were clarified. The Georgia Nutrition Committee would:
- Coordinate sound nutrition program activities to more effectively reach ALL Georgians.
- Emphasize the wise use of the available food supply, the food dollar, and help protect the consumer with respect to the price of foods.
- Promote the production, processing, and distribution of food with high nutritive value, and in adequate amounts.
- Emphasize nutrition for the middle‐aged individual.
- Continue efforts for proper legislation for enrichment of flour, meal, and cereals.
- Stress the importance of obtaining vitamins from vitamin‐rich foods rather than relying on supplements.
- Support the economists and agriculturists in their efforts to combat the effects of soil erosion on our food supply.
Specific accomplishments during the early post war years included revision of the Food Primer and work on low‐ cost diet plans for the Agricultural Extension Service. The Georgia Nutrition Committee also procured the enactment of the law requiring the enrichment of all white bread, flour, de‐germed cornmeal and grits. Unfortunately, the enforcement of this law was left to the discretion of the Commissioner of Agriculture and was not enforced at that time. A series of fifteen presentations on various topics in nutrition were also radio broadcast to Georgians between 1946‐1950.
In 1950, the resignation of Miss Lurline Collier as Chairman of the Georgia Nutrition Committee led to the formation of the Georgia Nutrition Council. A constitution and by‐laws were developed, officers were elected, and it was decided that membership should pay dues of $2.00 per year. What a bargain!
The constitution of the new organization stated that “any person interested in food and nutrition in Georgia is eligible for membership”. That same philosophy is true today as the current membership includes both nutrition professionals and the lay Georgia public. The original constitution provided for two meetings each year and five working sections: Food Production and Preservation, Community Nutrition, Research, Food Service and Work in Educational Institutions.
The first program that the council presented covered a number of broad topics including “Nutrition in Relation to Parasites”, “School Lunch Program”, “Nutrition in Schools”, and “Food Additives”, all of which addressed the goals of the organization, which were to help its members grow professionally and to unite their efforts in helping to solve urgent nutrition problems in Georgia…goals which continue to this day.