Hunt Sanders
Cotton Defoliation Update: Dr. Camp Hand
Over 3″ in most places over the weekend with more coming today and possibly tomorrow. I imagine the only way any cotton would be sprayed this week is with an aerial applicator because it will be hard to get a sprayer in. It does look like there may be a couple of “open” days this week to try and do some spraying, but rain follows immediately into next week. By next week it looks like it may dry off again with the sun coming out – so in my mind why not wait until next week? Get caught up on what you can in the shop and then get back after it after this next rainy spell comes through next weekend – likely will avoid some heartache that way.
If anyone were to spray this week, the biggest piece of advice I’ll give is get it out ASAP. Likely won’t be able to with a ground rig, but if you have a plane lined up, spray it tomorrow (if no rain) so you get three days of sunshine before more rain sets in this weekend.
It is starting to cool off some, meaning that we will lose efficacy of thidiazuron – efficacy drops off once temps go below 65 F. While this week it will probably still work, we need to remember that going into next week. I would also consider ginstar-type products for the next couple of weeks with cooler temps.
Recipe (if you decide to spray this week):
3-4 oz thidiazuron (Dropp, Klean-pik, others)
10 oz tribufos (Folex/Def)
32-42 oz ethephon (Prep, Setup, others)
OR
6-8 oz thidiazuron+diuron (Ginstar, Cutout, Adios, etc.)
32-42 oz ethephon (Prep, Setup, others)
Again – I would likely forgo spraying this week for more favorable conditions, but I know some folks need to keep moving.
Peanut Variety Trial Data




