Just a few comments based upon recent phone calls/texts/e-mails:
1) Be on the lookout out for pink purslane (Portulaca pilosa). Best options for control at this time are either Ultra Blazer or Cobra (yes, these herbicides will burn peanuts). Do not spray Ultra Blazer or Cobra if peanut plants are 60-75 days old.
2) Select (clethodim), or Poast (sethoxydim), or Fusilade DX (fluazifop-P) for POST grass weed control? Is one better than the other? For whatever reason, many GA growers seem to prefer Select or generic Clethodim over the other grass herbicides. What do I think? Check out a summary of these previous peanut weed control studies:
a) Grichar, W.J. 1991. Control of Texas panicum (Panicum texanum) and southern crabgrass (Digitaria cilaris) in peanuts (Arachis hypogaea) with postmergence herbicides. Peanut Science 18:6-9.– EPOST applications (1-6″ tall grass) of clethodim, fluazifop-P, and sethoxydim provided similar control of Texas panicum (>88% control).
– In 1 of 2 years, control of southern crabgrass with EPOST applications of fluazifop-P was lower than with either clethodim or sethoxdim.
b) Wilcut, J.W. 1991. Efficacy and economics of common bermudagrass (Cynodon dactylon) control in peanut (Arachis hypogaea). Peanut Science 18:106-109
– Split applications (21 days apart) of either sethoxydim (0.28 + 0.14 lb ai/A), fluazifop-P (0.19 + 0.10 lb ai/A). or clethodim (0.25 + 0.25 lb ai/A) provided at least 90% control of common bermudagrass.
c) York, A.C., J.W. Wilcut, and W.J. Grichar. 1993. Interaction of 2,4-DB with postemergence graminicides. Peanut Science 20:57-61.
– At 28 DAT, clethodim provided 98% control of broadleaf signalgrass, sethoxydim provided 97% control of broadleaf signalgrass, and fluazifop-P provided 92% control of broadleaf signalgrass.
d) **Please review page 233 of 2020 UGA Pest Control Handbook for a summary of peanut grass herbicides.
3) Check out these new pictures from my research plots taken earlier today. I observed no differences between Sonalan or Prowl. Also observed no differences between Anthem Flex/Dual Magnum/Outlook/Warrant/Zidua programs.
4) As always, I am readily available for any formal or in-formal field visits upon request (FYI, I will be on vacation from July 11-18).