If you were outraged at the warm temperatures over the holiday, then I bet you were equally outraged at 26 degrees on the dial this week! We’ve been pouring hot tea and throwing our socks in the dryer on the hour, and we have one more way you can warm up and chill out this week. And don’t worry, you won’t break your New Year’s resolutions with this recipe; the spices and flavor-rich ingredients give this recipe a ton of yum! Enjoy!
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
1 T canola oil
1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled, 1/2” dice
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 T chili powder
4 t cumin powder
2 canned chipotle peppers, minced
Pinch of salt
1 T cider vinegar
2 cups water
1, 8-oz. can diced no salt added tomato sauce
1, 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed
1/2, 15-oz. can great northern beans, rinsed and mashed
1 T unsalted butter
1 T lime juice
Shredded cheddar cheese (2/3 cup) and cilantro top if desired
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot on medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and onion and cook until onion softens.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, chipotles, and salt and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add cider vinegar, water, and tomato sauce, cover, and bring to boil.
- Mash the northern beans and add them to the pot. Reduce to a simmer and cook until sweet potato is tender.
- Add beans and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add butter, lime juice, and salt to taste.
- Serve when butter is melted. Top with shredded cheese and cilantro. Enjoy!
Nutrition information (with cheese): 240 calories, 10g fat, 9g protein, 510mg sodium, 10g dietary fiber. Excellent
source of vitamins A and C. Good source of calcium and iron.
Special thanks to the University Health Center for this delicious dish!