Interested in growing your own green beans? There are three varieties: bush beans, which are great for limited-space gardens; pole beans, like bush beans, they grow like vines but need a cage or trellis system for support; and half-runner beans, which can grow without support, like bush beans, but need lots of space to grow.
Review Extension publication, “Home Garden Green Beans” for growing tips.
These green beans are full of flavor and provide a new twist on traditional green beans.
Spanish-style Green Beans
- 2 cups fresh green beans, washed and trimmed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring water to a boil and add in green beans. Cook for about five minutes, or until tender, and drain.
- In a separate pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in onions and green pepper and cook until tender.
- Add tomatoes, basil, black pepper, and green beans. Cook until heated through. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information per serving
- Calories: 46
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Protein: 1.8 g
- Fat: 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 8 mg
- Fiber: 3 g