As someone who has grown up eating chicken for most of their life, I can tell you that it gets old cycling through the same old recipes that call for baking, grilling, and frying. But have no fear! This jerk chicken recipe will put an end to boring chicken dinners. This jerk chicken’s blend of sweet, savory, and spicy flavors will bring the Caribbean right into your kitchen and send your tastebuds on a tropical vacation. No more running to your closest Jamaican joint for a quick fix! This recipe pairs well with rice, mac and cheese, collards, and other popular side dishes.
Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- 8 pieces skinless chicken (4 breasts, 4 drumsticks)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped hot pepper
- 1 tsp dried hot pepper
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 gloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 C onion, pureed or finely chopped
- 1/4 C vinegar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- Wash chicken and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except chicken.
- Rub seasonings over chicken, and marinate in the refrigerator for 6 hours or longer.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Space chicken pieces evenly on a nonstick or lightly greased baking pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for an additional 30 to 40 minutes, or until the meat can be easily pulled away from the bone with a fork.
|Total fat||3 g|
|Saturated fat||1 g|
|Total fiber||1 g|
|Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.|
Recipe courtesy of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.