Chicken and Dumplings is on most everyone’s comfort food list, and with snowflakes in most everyone’s forecast, this lighter version of the classic comfort food is a must (take it from us, we tested it and it passed even the harshest critics)!
Our favorite part of this recipe is that you probably have all these ingredients in your pantry! Second favorite? Just 35 minutes from pantry to table! So if you don’t have time to get to the store before the flakes start falling, warm up with this delicious dish.
Chicken and Dumplings
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes
2 1⁄4 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth
1⁄4 cup water
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
4 1⁄2 cups frozen or fresh mixed vegetables
2 cups cooked and chopped chicken
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1⁄4 cups reduced fat prepared baking mix
1⁄3 cup lowfat milk
- In a large pot, combine chicken broth, water, onion, vegetables, chicken, and thyme.
- Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place baking mix in a small bowl. Remove 2 tablespoons and stir into pot to thicken the stew.
- Add milk and egg to remaining baking mix and stir with a fork to blend. Drop rounded tablespoons onto hot chicken mixture. Cook over low heat, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes more. Serve while hot.
Makes 6 servings (1 1⁄4 cups per serving).
Nutrition Information (per serving): Calories 226, Carbohydrate 24 g, Dietary Fiber 3 g, Protein 21 g, Total Fat 5 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 74 mg, Sodium 362 mg
Thanks to Champions for Change for this delicious recipe!