For the Soup:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups carrot, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped, including some leaves
8 cups chicken broth, fat free, reduced sodium
2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves
2 cups fresh spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
For the Dumplings:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup skim milk
1 egg, large
1. Heat oil in Dutch oven or soup kettle over medium-high heat.
2. Sauté carrot, onion and celery for 5 minutes; stir in broth, chicken, peppercorns, thyme and bay leaves.
3. Reduce heat to low; simmer, partially covered for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix dumpling ingredients until well blended.
5. Drop small spoonfuls of dumpling dough into simmering soup.
6. Cover soup and allow dumplings to cook for about 20 minutes (they will rise to the top of the soup as they cook).
7. Stir in spinach.
8. Remove bay leaves before serving soup.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information per Serving:
Calories 243, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 54 mg, Sodium 534 mg, Total Carbohydrate 30 g, Dietary Fiber 4 g, Total Sugars 4 g, Added Sugars included 0 g, Protein 18 g, Vitamin D 0 mcg, Calcium 73 mg, Iron 2 mg, Potassium 412 mg