Are you in need of a new recipe to impress your friends and family at brunch? Look no further! This Bell Pepper and Vidalia Onion Strata is a great way to put together a quick brunch. The combination of eggs and veggies is an awesome source of protein, vitamins, and minerals. This recipe also recommends pairing the strata with cherry tomato salsa to add a little extra flavor! Thankfully, Vidalia onions and tomatoes are both in season right now! Remember, purchasing in-season produce is a great way to support local, Georgia farmers!
1 Vidalia onion , divided
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced vertically
1/2 green bell pepper, sliced vertically
1 tbsp olive oil
4 large eggs
4 egg whites
1/2 cup fat-free (skim) milk
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
4-6 slices whole grain bread, dry or toasted, cubed
1/2 cup reduced fat Italian blend cheese
10 cherry tomatoes
1 garlic clove
1. Pack rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350 ºF.
2. Cut Vidalia onion into slices vertically; reserve about 1/4 of onion. Heat oil in a 10-inch non-stick skillet. Sauté onion and pepper slices for 5-8 minutes, until tender and just starting to brown. Remove from heat.
3. Beat eggs, milk, and pepper in large bowl, set aside.
4. Spray 8′ or 9′ baking pan (square or round) with cooking spray.
5. Arrange bread cubes in bottom of pan. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
6. Add sautéed vegetables and pour in egg mix.
7. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, until set. Egg dishes should be cooked to 160 ºF.
8. While strata is baking, prepare salsa, by dicing and mixing cherry tomatoes, garlic, and remaining Vidalia onion.
Fat: 9 g
Protein: 19 g
Carbohydrates: 21 g
Dietary Fiber: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Sodium: 371 mg