This easy-to-prepare baked version of the egg roll leaves out the deep fryer and uses far less oil than a traditional recipe. It also incorporates a large serving of vegetables and protein. We hope your resolutions still include healthy food choices for clean energy that help you move more so you can live more!
Baked Egg Rolls
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons sesame oil (optional)
2 teaspoons ginger, minced (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
2 teaspoons garlic, minced (about 2 cloves)
4 cups cabbage (napa or Chinese), rinsed and shredded
2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced thinly on an angle (julienned)
2 cups grilled boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips (about 4 small breasts)
1 teaspoon lite soy sauce (low-sodium)
8 phyllo dough sheets nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400oF.
- Heat vegetable and sesame oils in a large wok or sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add ginger and garlic. Stir fry quickly, about 30–45 seconds.
- Add cabbage and carrots. Continue stir frying until the cabbage is soft, about 2–3 minutes.
- Add chicken and soy sauce. Toss well and heat through.
- Remove mixture from the pan, and place in a large colander to drain.
- To assemble eggrolls, cover layers of phyllo with a damp cloth to stay moist. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a cutting board. Spray it lightly with cooking spray. Top with another layer of phyllo dough, and spray again. Repeat for a total of four layers. Prepare a second stack with the remaining four layers.
- Cut layered dough into four squares. Divide filling evenly (about 1 cup portions) into the center of each stack of squares. Fold one corner of the square into the middle (on top of the filling). Fold in the two sides, and roll the eggroll over so the folded parts are on the bottom.
- Place the rolls on a nonstick baking sheet, and bake for 15–20 minutes, or until brown and crisp and chicken is reheated. Serve immediately.
Tips: Save time, create less waste, and avoid the chopping by purchasing a bag of coleslaw vegetables in place of the cabbage and carrots!
Yield 4 servings, Serving Size 2 eggrolls, Calories 324, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 60 mg, Sodium 320 mg, Total Fiber 3 g, Protein 26 g, Carbohydrates 30 g, Potassium 416 mg
Thanks to the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute for this delicious recipe!