This recipe makes great use of summer produce and is a good example of combining high fiber carbohydrates, with protein and fat to minimize blood sugar spikes. The carbohydrates from the bread are balanced by the fiber in the bread and vegetables, healthy fats in the avocado and eggs, and protein from the eggs, cheese, and bread.
Makes: 4 servings
1 ripe avocado
2 medium tomatoes
1 green onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (plus 2 tbsp for garnish) 4 eggs (hard-boiled)
4 slices whole-wheat bread
1/4 cup part skim (reduced fat) ricotta cheese
black pepper to taste
1. Dice avocado, tomatoes, and green onions.
2. Peel and chop hard-boiled eggs.
3. Reserving 2 tbsp. basil for garnish, gently toss first five ingredients in a small bowl. Add pepper to taste.
4. Toast bread and spread 1 tablespoon ricotta cheese per slice.
5. Top with avocado mix and garnish with chopped basil.
Adapted from USDA’s What’s Cooking website