The best time to buy Brussels sprouts is September through March, and it’s easy enough to cook them on their own – just boil them for seven to 10 minutes. They’re also a great source of vitamin K, a vitamin the body uses to control blood clotting.
Chicken and Brussels Sprouts Salad
Ingredients for salad
- 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 apple
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Two medium, grilled chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 sprig green onion, chopped
Ingredients for dressing
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare the Brussels sprouts by cutting them in half, then thinly slicing. Slice the apple into matchstick shapes.
- Combine Brussels sprouts, apples, chicken, raisins, almonds and green onions into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, olive oil, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Pour the dressing onto salad mixture and toss. Refrigerate until time to serve.
Nutrition Information per serving
- Calories: 279
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Protein: 22 g
- Total Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
- Cholesterol: 12 mg
- Sodium: 395 mg
- Fiber: 5.1 g