This fact sheet was put together by Andrew Sawyer, Thomas Co Extension Agent, and Dr. David Butin, Extension Entomologist;
Grain Sorghum Varieties with Resistance/Tolerance to Sugarcane Infestation
The varieties below were researched by UGA Extension Entomologist Dr. David Buntin and researchers from LSU or Texas for tolerance/resistance to sugarcane aphids. Remember, no variety is completely resistant to sugarcane aphids. For us in South Georgia, planting with a seed treatment is still advised. Grain sorghum should also be scouted for sugarcane aphids within two weeks of emergence.
Georgia States Variety Trial (Dr. Buntin, UGA)
|Southern States||SS 540||?|
Dr. David Buntin: Upon evaluation of all grain, silage and forage sorghum entries in the GA state variety trial for SCA resistance/tolerance, DKS 3707 was the most resistance. However, none of the entries were highly resistant. There was very little resistance/tolerance in the silage and forage types.
United States Sorghum Board Results (Reported as having some tolerance/resistance by researcher at LSU or in Texas).
|B&H Genetics||BH 4100||Other|
|B&H Genetics||BH 3000||Other|
|Sorghum Partners||SP7715||LSU & Other|
|Sorghum Partners||SPX17414||LSU & Other|
|Sorghum Partners||SPX17514||LSU & Other|
|Richardson||RS260E||LSU & Other|
|Richardson||RS84353||LSU & Other|
|Warner Seeds||W-844-E||LSU & Other|
Insecticide Summary for SCA
- Sivanto 200SL @ 4 – 10 oz, (21 d PHI); 2ee for 4-7oz.
- Transform @ 1.0 – 1.5 oz, (14 d PHI); IF Section 18 approved for 2016.
- Chlorpyrifos @2 pt (60 day PHI), ? Efficacy, 7-10 days.
- Dimethoate, Lannate, malathion & chlorpyrifos @ 1pt are not effective.
- Pyrethroids are not effective, because they flare aphids.
- Add neonicotinoid seed treatment if available.
- Start with Sivanto, follow with Transform (if available) to rotate chemistries.
- Transform for harvest infestations (14 d PHI).
- 2015 research showed adjuvants have little benefit.
- Ground: 10+ GPA
- Aerial: 5 GPA
No chemigation for Sivanto or Transform.
No labeled insecticides for sweet sorghum!