Banana Blueberry Smoothie
2 Large Bananas
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 carton vanilla yogurt (8oz., low fat)
2 cups almond milk
1 teaspoon honey
2 teaspoon chia seeds (optional)
1.Put all ingredients into a blender
2.Blend on high until smooth
3.Pour into 3 glasses
4 large zucchini
2 or 3 tomatoes
2 large bell peppers
3/4 cup broccoli
1/4 cup onions
2 TBS. Cavender’s Greek Seasoning
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp olive oil
1. Spiral 4 large zucchini and lay spirals out on paper towels (you will
need to do this so excess water can be absorbed). Then pat zucchini with dry paper towels (as they are laying on towels)
2. Chop 2 to 3 large tomatoes and drain
3. Chop 2 large bell pepper (color of choice)
4. Chop broccoli and onion (amount up to you)
5. Cut up long strands of zucchini spirals and place in large bowl
6. Sprinkle olive oil on zucchini spirals and mix (add sparingly at first)
7. Add all chopped vegetables and mix well( all vegs should now have a
light coating of olive oil…if not, add a little and mix again)
8. Sprinkle Cavender’s Greek seasoning and mix again(you can use salt
and pepper or any seasoning to your taste)
9. Serve and Enjoy!
Refrigerate any leftovers…..please know that water from vegetables will
collect in bottom of bowl ……just drain and serve again until gone!
Salsa Verde Recipe
1 ½ pounds fresh tomatillos – husked, washed and halved
½ cup fresh cilantro leaves –rinsed well
½ medium Vidalia onion
1 – 2 peppers (according to desired taste): use either jalapeño or serrano peppers, or one of each. If you are sensitive to spicy food, remove the seeds from the peppers, but do not touch your eyes after touching the peppers!
1 lime, juiced
½ teaspoon salt
To get started, you must remove the husk and wash the tomatillo well before preparing your salsa!
1. Preheat the oven’s broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source. Place the tomatillos cut side down in a backing dish. Also, include the peppers and the onion in the baking dish with the tomatillos.
2. Broil these ingredients in preheated oven until slightly charred, about 5 minutes. Broiling the tomatillos gives the salsa a slight smoky taste.
3. Cool the broiled ingredients and transfer to a food processor. Add the cilantro, lime juice and salt; pulse until well mixed.
Enjoy the Salsa Verde with taco chips or on top of enchiladas and tacos!
How to Prepare Cabbage:
• Choose solid, heavy heads.
• Refrigerate in plastic storage bins.
• Wash and cut just before serving.
• Once cut, use leftover cabbage in 1-2 days.
• Cut the fat by using light mayonnaise mixed half and half with non-fat plain yogurt.
• Cut the salt, by seasoning with a little oil and caraway seeds, red or black pepper, paprika, dill, rosemary or oregano.
Pros of Cabbage:
• Reduce risk for heart disease, stroke and some cancers
• Cut risk of cataracts in older adults and spina bifida in babies
• Speed ulcer healing
• Improve digestive health
Quick and Easy Cabbage
This is a healthy and tasty cabbage dish and it’s simple to prepare!
1 head green cabbage
1 can (6 ounces) low sodium V-8 juice or tomato juice
½ cup reduced sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning blend
½ teaspoon onion powder
Dash salt and pepper, optional
1. Cut cabbage into large pieces, discarding outer leaves and core.
2. Pack into a large saucepan and add remaining ingredients.
3. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until cabbage is tender. Serves 6.
Cabbage Roll Casserole
1. Brown ground beef in a skillet with onion and garlic. Drain off any fat.
2. Place meat in a large pot and add water, tomatoes, tomato sauce (or juice), and cabbage. Cook until cabbage is almost tender.
3. Add minute rice and cook five minutes longer. Serve.
Crunchy Apple Salad
- Pour pineapple juice into medium bowl.
- Rinse apples and dice (throw away stem and core).
- Place apples in pineapple juice. Toss to coat.
- Remove apples from pineapple juice with slotted spoon and place in medium bowl,
- Add chopped pecans and raisins to apples.
- Add vanilla yogurt to apple mixture. Stir well to break up clumps of raisins.