How to Prepare Cabbage:
• Choose solid, heavy heads.
• Refrigerate in plastic storage bins.
• Wash and cut just before serving.
• Once cut, use leftover cabbage in 1-2 days.
• Cut the fat by using light mayonnaise mixed half and half with non-fat plain yogurt.
• Cut the salt, by seasoning with a little oil and caraway seeds, red or black pepper, paprika, dill, rosemary or oregano.
Pros of Cabbage:
• Reduce risk for heart disease, stroke and some cancers
• Cut risk of cataracts in older adults and spina bifida in babies
• Speed ulcer healing
• Improve digestive health
Quick and Easy Cabbage:
This is a healthy and tasty cabbage dish and it’s simple to prepare!
1 head green cabbage
1 can (6 ounces) low sodium V-8 juice or tomato juice
½ cup reduced sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning blend
½ teaspoon onion powder
Dash salt and pepper, optional
1. Cut cabbage into large pieces, discarding outer leaves and core.
2. Pack into a large saucepan and add remaining ingredients.
3. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until cabbage is tender. Serves 6.