TEACH WITH US
With support from USDA NIFA, Grow It Know It is partnering with Barrow County Extension and the University of Georgia to run summer intensive training workshops and year-long professional development for teachers and school nutrition staff from Barrow County. This program will develop and pilot professional development for k-12 teachers and nutrition staff to improve education focused on food safety, nutrition, and health through hands-on, experiential, garden and food based teaching and learning.
TOPICS AND ACTIVITIES
1) Hands-on horticultural demonstrations
2) Field trip to the Grow It Know It program in Athens
3) Building a garden support team
4) Incorporating gardens into teachers’ curricula
5) Cooking in the classroom
MORE ON GIKI SCHOOL GARDEN TRAINING
1) Support from Barrow County’s CFIT with integration of school gardens into curriculum
2) School teams who attend the workshop will receive a $200 mini-grant to help implement
training activities, and will receive additional garden and curriculum supplies.
3) One school team in each the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 school years will be eligible for a $6,000 grant, and continued yearlong consulting from Program Coordinator.
4) An AmeriCorps VISTA will be hosted by UGA Office of Service Learning, paid by BCSS, to assist with carrying out various programs components.
PILOT PROGRAM FOR EXPANSION
This program will be part of ongoing research and evaluation. The aim of this research is understand the effectiveness of the program, and the feasibility of GIKI being replicated to support teachers and nutrition staff in using school gardens across Georgia. For questions contact:
Andie Bisceglia, Program Coordinator, at email@example.com.