Summer Kitchen Garden Corps
Our Kitchen Garden Corps Summer program develops a healthy community and to conserves natural resources through the practice of sustainable agriculture and the production of nutritious food. This is our mission statement.
We achieve our mission in 5 steps:
1) providing a diverse group of youth with opportunities to transform their lives through education, employable skills, civic engagement, and leadership.
2) providing opportunities to a diverse group of youth to grow their own food and to create access to fresh food for their community.
3) developing an understanding of our fragile environment
4) conserving and restoring natural resources by practicing organic agricultural methods.
5) creating environmental leaders of the future by teaching environmental ethics and behaviors to children, teens, and adults.
Grow It Know It runs the KGC, a summer program that combines gardening, cooking, construction, and entrepreneurial skills for a powerhouse experience. For eight weeks each summer, about 25 CCSD middle school students build skills and teamwork as they operate both the “farm” and a “farm-to-table” restaurant, preparing and serving a weekly three-course lunch to over 40 community customers each week, with support from professional chefs. In summer 2017, the KGC raised more than $4,000 in donations to cover program costs, and engaged over 70 different young adults for nearly 3,400 hours of workforce and skills development.
Please attend one of our pop-up restaurants during the summer and see (and taste) for yourself what we got cooking! To reserve a seat at our restaurant please email us at email@example.com.