We have had many of you discuss the issues associated with the conversion of generic base. There are basically two options that a grower can chose from. You need to make this decision on a farm-by-farm basis. What makes sense on one farm may not necessarily make sense on the next. If you would like to access the Extension Bulletin to read more about the Generic Base Conversion you may visit the Burke County Extension Website. You may also access the Generic Base Decision Aid excel calculator to help you make decisions based on your program. (In order to access the decision aid, you must click “save” to open the file after you have clicked the link.)
On Tuesday, September 11th from 9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. Dr. Adam N. Rabinowitz and Dr. Yangxuan Liu, UGA Peanut & Cotton Economists, will be holding a meeting with Farm Service Agency to discuss the following topics:
- Generic Base Conversion: The Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018 authorizes seed cotton as a covered commodity for the 2018 crop year. Owners of a farm with generic base acres need to reallocate those acres. This section of the meeting will cover:
- An explanation of the program, options, and the process.
- An introduction to decision aids and important issues to consider when choosing conversion of generic base acres and ARC/PLC programs.
- Wildfires and Hurricanes Indemnity Program (WHIP): The 2017 Wildfires and Hurricanes Indemnity Program is providing disaster payments to agricultural producers to offset losses from hurricanes and wildfires during 2017. This section of the meeting will cover:
- An explanation of the program and how to participate.
- An overview of risk management strategies and alternative coverages.
- Trade related assistance for agricultural producers: The USDA is taking several actions to assist farmers in response to recent retaliatory tariffs. This section of the meeting will cover the following:
- What’s happening with U.S. trade of agricultural products?
- Market Facilitation Program. Who will be receiving payments and explanation of the process.
- Food Purchase and Distribution Program and Trade Promotion Program. Overview of assistance programs to purchase unexpected surplus and develop new export markets.
The meeting will be held at the Bulloch County Extension Office, 151 Langston Chapel Rd., Statesboro, GA 30458.