The Georgia Department of Agriculture presents the first annual Agriculture Awareness Week in Georgia, March 20 – 24, 2017. Ag Awareness Week is designed to better communicate the important role agriculture contributes to our daily lives, while allowing more involvement from our agricultural partners.
We encourage you to get involved in your communities and schools to spread the word, share your knowledge and help us promote Georgia’s #1 industry– agriculture.
Here are some fun facts about Georgia agriculture.
- Georgia ranks third in the United States for acreage in watermelon production.
- Corn is grown in every county in Georgia, making it the most widely grown crop in the state.
- Georgia currently has 226 dairy farms and is home to over 86,000 dairy cows.
- A bale of cotton weighs 480 lbs and can produce 215 pairs of jeans.
- The average Georgia poultry farm can feed 22,000 people each day.
- Georgia produces 6.9 million table eggs every day.
- Because cattle are grown in all 159 counties in Georgia, the beef industry has a large impact on the state’s economy – more than $2 billion.
Head to Georgia Grown to learn more about Georgia’s ag industries!